Back in February my cousin, Callie, and I spent quality fam time in NYC over a lovely meal at Jack’s Wife Freda. We indulged. Cocktail(ssssss), apps, and three entrees sounded about right for two respectable young ladies. The food was incredibly delicious and healthful without an ostentatious proclamation. One dish I could not tear my eyes away from was the BRIGHT PINK spiced beet dip. I’ve never had bright pink food that wasn’t bubblegum or a product of Red #40. My dear cousin patiently waited as I re-arranged our appetizers, stood over the table and took an arial snapshot like the most basic 20-something female ever. But documentation was absolutely necessary as I knew I had to recreate the fuchsia spread, so a big round of applause goes to Callie for enduring the humiliation.
BEET DIP w/ FETA + WALNUTS
- 4 medium beets, trimmed (or two 15 oz cans, drained)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cup whole yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon za’atar or sumac (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Feta cheese
- Green onions
Skip steps 1 and two if you’re cheating and using canned beets.
- Place beets in a small pan, fill 1/2 way up with water and bring to a boil, cover and lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until a knife can easily slice through the entire beet.
- Once the beets have finished cooking, allow to cool. Peel and cut in half.
- Add beets, garlic, yogurt, olive oil, chili powder and za’atar in a blender and pulse until very smooth.
Garnish with feta, walnuts, and green onions.