The Super Bowl is around the corner, Friday’s are now reserved for cramming movies in preparation for the Oscars, it’s get-healthy January and your pantry is packed with superfoods. Reasons to make a giant bowl of luscious, green guacamole abound.
Serving my favorite communal appetizer makes me oh-so happy because 1.) I get to bring out the gorgeous basalt rock molcajete y tejolete (mortar and pestle), and 2.) it’s one of my husband’s favorite things to prepare so it gets him in the kitchen with me!
We all hear how fabulous avocados are for us, but do we truly really know? Just Google avocado and clinical trials and prepare to be impressed. Google avocado and hangover if you want to learn about–and perhaps apply–the benefit of having this fruit as your drinking buddy.
The links and recipes below offer inspiration for delightfully different guacamoles. If you’re a polo and pearls kind of person, a classic recipe is there with you in mind.
Xox -Amanda Nell
1. Do something totally unexpected.
2. The greener the better.
3. Sweeten it up. Naturally.
4. Add more protein.
5. Classics exist for a reason.
THE MODEL WELL FED’S CLASSIC GUAC
- 3 Haas avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 c. minced onion
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Scoop the avocados into a bowl, add lime juice and mash with a fork.
- Add the remaining ingredients. It’s best if you let it sit for 30 minutes to let all the flavors thoroughly combine. Serve with tortilla chips, thinly sliced zucchini, flax chips.