Coconut whipped cream is my go-to dessert, snack and breakfast booster. WHY is it the perfect, always-have-on-hand pantry item? It’s:
- decadent yet healthful
- perfect for vegans, those living the paleo lifestyle, my gluten-free friends…
- quick + easy to make, no electric beater necessary
- naturally sweet so no need to add sugar
- a food that’s kind to the earth
WHAT I use it for:
- cake frosting
- fruit topper
- sweet porridges
- pie fillings
- cornmeal pancakes
Pretty much anything where cream or whipped cream is called for I use coconut whipped cream. It does have a coconut flavor to it, so if that’s not your jam go ahead and use the dairy. (Just a little bit. No one will notice.)
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream (I love Trader Joe’s brand), or full fat coconut milk
- flavoring suggestions: vanilla extract • cinnamon • cardamum • ginger • citrus zest • cocoa powder
- Chill your can of coconut cream/milk in the refrigerator UPSIDE DOWN overnight.
- Remove the coconut cream/milk from the fridge without tipping or shaking and remove lid. Pour out and reserve the liquid (use in smoothies!) and scrape out the thickened cream.
- Note: If your coconut milk didn’t harden, you probably just got a dud can without the right fat content. Try to salvage it with a bit of tapioca flour or cornstarch – 1 to 4 Tbsp – during the whipping process.
- Place hardened cream in a mixing bowl. Add flavorings and beat with a whisk or mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Use immediately or refrigerate – it will harden and set in the fridge the longer it’s chilled. Will keep for up to 1 – 2 weeks!